[linux-dvb] How to get a PCTV Sat HDTC Pro USB (452e) running?

Michael Schöller michael.schoeller at schoeller-soft.net
Sat Jun 7 11:43:39 CEST 2008

Dominik Kuhlen schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 06 June 2008, Michael Schöller wrote:
>
>> Well that worked! I was able to compile the drivers. :)
>>
>> And the bad news. I wasn't able to compile dvb-apps. Or to be more
>> specific I followed the instructions for patching dvb-apps to work with
>> multiproto. (
>>
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2008-April/025222.html)
>>
>> As I understand the instructions I copied the source code of scan to the dvb-apps/util/scan directory and applied the patch on it. After a little extra change for the includes (changed them to point to the ones of multiproto). I was able to compile the hole stuff without errors. However scan always gives me an DVBFE_SET_PARAMS ioctl fail with "Invalid argument".
>>
> are you sure you have unloaded all old dvb modules?

Well I not sure with anything. Since /dev/dvb is only showing up after
compile the new modules I think so. I do not really have a clue to
verify it. I'm playing around with the trial and error system.

>> After some time I give up on and tried to patch szap. Well szap seems to be a wrong version since even used structures in the source code has different names than the ones in the patch file. I got dvb-apps with hg from linuxtv.org.
>>
>> I'm really down now my hope to get this damn thing running before the first EM match is now not present. Good by HDTV quality games hello PAL...
>>
> could you please try whether the simpledvbtune application from
> http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2008-April/025535.html
> works.
>
> ---snip---

I will try that after reinstalling YDL6. Currently I switch between
Fedora9 and YDL6 to see what distribution gives lesser headache.

> Are you running this on a PS3?
>

>  Dominik

Well yes. *g* My Ps3 is my Multimedia center ^^. Ok its not so Media
center at the moment but it will be...
So all files for me has to be compiled for PPC/PPC64 architecture.

Ok I can tell that my problem is Distribution independent
</search?hl=de&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=independent&spell=1>.
On Fedora it's a bit harder to get multiproto running (/dev/dvb appears)
but the error with scan and szap is the same ("ioctl DVBFE_GET_INFO
failed: Invalid Argument").

This time I tried these steps (based on the hints in previous posts)
1. hg clone http://www.jusst.de/hg/multiproto
2. cd into multiproto and run "patch -p1 <
patch_add_pctv452e_tt_s2_36x0.diff" (the fixed one from Jens Message at
22:09) -> no errors
3. run "make" and "make install" -> well gives compile errors so I
followed Faruks instructions
3b) cd to multiproto/linux/drivers/media/video
 and rename the Makefile to like Makefile_
after this i won't compile any analog drivers and it will compile dvb
and radio drivers.
3c) 3. run "make clean", "make" and "make install" ->works now
4. hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/dvb-apps
5. cd into dvb-apps and run "patch -p1 < patch_sca_szap.diff" (attached
in the message) -> no errors
 6. copy version.h and frontend.h -> Well that one was tricky I found
out that the place where the include files are in /usr/include/linux/dvb
is that correct. However after copy them to this location make in the
scan and szap directory works. And make in the dvb-apps now gives an
error that Fields are already defined. Well however thats not in the
steps so I do..
7. cd into dvb-apps/util/<scan,szap> and run "make" -> well that
works....to compile
ioctl DVBFE_GET_INFO failed: Invalid Argument...I'm starting to hate
that words...

What I did not try at the moment:

Hmm i really don't know, anyway here is my copy already been patched
and compiled. If the binary scan doesn't work run "make clean" and
then "make"
http://www.zshare.net/download/1322006118c9c70a/

Faruk
Well and the one I'm not sure about if that is really nesecary when applying the patch from step 5.

I'm glad it worked out for you. The dvb-apps scan never worked with
multiproto there is another version for multiproto you can download it
from here. http://jusst.de/manu/scan.tar.bz2

Michael