[linux-dvb] How to get a PCTV Sat HDTC Pro USB (452e) running?

Michael Schöller michael.schoeller at schoeller-soft.net
Sat Jun 7 11:43:39 CEST 2008

Dominik Kuhlen schrieb:
> Hi,
> On Friday 06 June 2008, Michael Schöller wrote:
>> Well that worked! I was able to compile the drivers. :)
>> And the bad news. I wasn't able to compile dvb-apps. Or to be more
>> specific I followed the instructions for patching dvb-apps to work with
>> multiproto. (
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2008-April/025222.html)
>> As I understand the instructions I copied the source code of scan to the dvb-apps/util/scan directory and applied the patch on it. After a little extra change for the includes (changed them to point to the ones of multiproto). I was able to compile the hole stuff without errors. However scan always gives me an DVBFE_SET_PARAMS ioctl fail with "Invalid argument".
> are you sure you have unloaded all old dvb modules?
Well I not sure with anything. Since /dev/dvb is only showing up after
compile the new modules I think so. I do not really have a clue to
verify it. I'm playing around with the trial and error system.
>> After some time I give up on and tried to patch szap. Well szap seems to be a wrong version since even used structures in the source code has different names than the ones in the patch file. I got dvb-apps with hg from linuxtv.org.
>> I'm really down now my hope to get this damn thing running before the first EM match is now not present. Good by HDTV quality games hello PAL...
> could you please try whether the simpledvbtune application from
> http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2008-April/025535.html
> works.
> ---snip---
I will try that after reinstalling YDL6. Currently I switch between
Fedora9 and YDL6 to see what distribution gives lesser headache.
> Are you running this on a PS3?
>  Dominik
Well yes. *g* My Ps3 is my Multimedia center ^^. Ok its not so Media
center at the moment but it will be...
So all files for me has to be compiled for PPC/PPC64 architecture.

Ok I can tell that my problem is Distribution independent
On Fedora it's a bit harder to get multiproto running (/dev/dvb appears)
but the error with scan and szap is the same ("ioctl DVBFE_GET_INFO
failed: Invalid Argument").

This time I tried these steps (based on the hints in previous posts)
1. hg clone http://www.jusst.de/hg/multiproto
2. cd into multiproto and run "patch -p1 <
patch_add_pctv452e_tt_s2_36x0.diff" (the fixed one from Jens Message at
22:09) -> no errors
3. run "make" and "make install" -> well gives compile errors so I
followed Faruks instructions
3b) cd to multiproto/linux/drivers/media/video
 and rename the Makefile to like Makefile_
after this i won't compile any analog drivers and it will compile dvb
and radio drivers.
3c) 3. run "make clean", "make" and "make install" ->works now
4. hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/dvb-apps
5. cd into dvb-apps and run "patch -p1 < patch_sca_szap.diff" (attached
in the message) -> no errors
 6. copy version.h and frontend.h -> Well that one was tricky I found
out that the place where the include files are in /usr/include/linux/dvb
is that correct. However after copy them to this location make in the
scan and szap directory works. And make in the dvb-apps now gives an
error that Fields are already defined. Well however thats not in the
steps so I do..
7. cd into dvb-apps/util/<scan,szap> and run "make" -> well that
works....to compile
ioctl DVBFE_GET_INFO failed: Invalid Argument...I'm starting to hate
that words...

What I did not try at the moment:

Hmm i really don't know, anyway here is my copy already been patched
and compiled. If the binary scan doesn't work run "make clean" and
then "make"

Well and the one I'm not sure about if that is really nesecary when applying the patch from step 5.

I'm glad it worked out for you. The dvb-apps scan never worked with
multiproto there is another version for multiproto you can download it
from here. http://jusst.de/manu/scan.tar.bz2