[linux-dvb] Ubuntu 8.10 and Pinnacle HDTV Pro usb stick

Paul Guzowski guzowskip at linuxmail.org
Tue Oct 14 13:58:55 CEST 2008

Greetings,

I'm trying to use a Pinnacle HDTV Pro USB stick to take an RF-out (US channel 3) from my cable company's set-top box to allow me to watch TV in a window on my computer which is running Ubuntu Linux.  I found several ways to get video but was missing audio then finally found a way to get both with MPlayer using the following command:

mplayer -vo xv tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:alsa:immediatemode=0:adevice=hw.1,0:norm=ntsc:chanlist=us-cable

I was running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) then I upgraded to the Beta for Ubuntu 8.10.  MPlayer TV with video and sound worked for a while but, as with all Beta releases, the updates were coming hot and heavy and now I’m right back where I started with video and no audio. Now when I run that command, I get the following error messages regarding audio:

v4l2: current audio mode is : MONO
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1429:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
Error opening audio: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1429:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
Error opening audio: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1429:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
Error opening audio: No such file or directory
v4l2: 0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames dropped.

Results of cat /proc/asound/cards:

paul at Kris-desktop:~/Desktop$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [SI7012 ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
SiS SI7012 with YMF753 at irq 18
1 [Em28xx Audio ]: Empia Em28xx AudEm28xx Audio - Em28xx Audio
Empia Em28xx Audio

Can anyone give me any idea why this was working and has now stopped or what I need to do to get audio back? I'm not tied to MPlayer so TvTime should work OK but the base Ubuntu package has no sound and I cannot get the source to compile on my system. I'm open to any/all suggestions and am willing to try any other software packages. Thanks in advance.

Polo

=
The New Yorker Online
An Intelligent Approach to the Business Report. Read Now.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=072b6a986f0b98b481fa5f50993a47ad