[linux-dvb] S2API: Future support for DVB-T2

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Mon Oct 27 19:13:03 CET 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:54 PM, BOUWSMA Barry
<freebeer.bouwsma at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
>
>> Adding support to the API is only part of the job. The question is which
>> currently available receiver hardware is supporting DVB-T2 and where can we
>
> Apparently the following were used at a recent demo in Amsterdam:
> Tuner chip TDA18211HN, prototype demodulator TDA10055, both from
> NXP.
>

>> get a driver for this hardware?
>
> Won't it be that some poor sucker signs away their soul for NDA
> access to the specifics of the chips, or is it possible that
> the chip manufacturer might deliver already-written drivers
> (though looking at the existing TDAxxxxx frontend code, the
> former seems most likely, and I don't know how well this one
> manufacturer is generally with linux support) ?
>
> Support for the tuner chip above seems to have been attempted
> about a year ago.

The TDA18211HN is fully supported by the tda18271 module.  The driver
will not need anything specific to tune into new broadcast standards
-- just the filters need to be set up properly.

All of the differences in setup are exposed by the driver in the
attach-time configuration structure, so the driver would not need any
modification to work properly with new demodulator hardware, other
than some tweaking in the attach-time configuration structure
overrides.  (without the overrides, the driver will use default
behavior, which is appropriate for some but not all designs).

I do not know of anybody working on a driver for the tda10055.

Regards,

Mike