[linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update

barry bouwsma free_beer_for_all at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 21:45:34 CEST 2008

Ciao,

--- On Fri, 9/5/08, Francesco Schiavarelli <kaboom at tiscalinet.it> wrote:

> Seeing how hot API discussion got lately I think it's time to write on
> the subject.

I'm going to avoid giving an opinion, because I don't have one
to give as an outsider, other than whatever works, is good...

What I wonder, is two things.

Does DiSEqC 1.1 fit into the existing API, and is it more of
a question of hardware support (generally I've noticed 1.0 and
1.2 listed), and applications being able to handle the additional
switching (I've found an app limit of 4 positions)?

I don't know enough about the internals of DiSEqC to have any idea
what I'm talking about; I've got a 1.1 switch on order, and I have
a 1.1-able 8/1+16/1 receiver, where those appear to be incompatible
with my existing 4/1 switch.

Second, how do non-DVB-like technologies like DAB (Eureka-147) fit
into the scope of either multiproto or S2API -- or must they
remain outside of v4l-dvb?

The Wiki sez, ``some developers already have hardware using
standards unsupported by multiproto, such as ISDB-T and DMB-T/H.''
And some of us non-developers have such hardware and want to try
it with non-Windows for readily-receiveable DAB.

Or is DAB/T-DMB too different from DVB and related technologies,
that a separate development path needs to be taken outside
linux-dvb, but probably within V4L?

thanks,
barry bouwsma