[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Andreas Oberritter obi at linuxtv.org
Thu Sep 11 17:06:50 CEST 2008

barry bouwsma wrote:
> --- On Thu, 9/11/08, Andreas Oberritter <obi at linuxtv.org> wrote:
>
>> How about dropping demux1 and dvr1 for this adapter, since they don't
>> create any benefit? IMHO the number of demux devices should always equal
>> the number of simultaneously usable transport stream inputs.
>
> I like this `solution', but I'm not sure it is optimal...
>
> Sure, it works for 2x devices, where only one at a time can be
> used, but if one has a hypothetical DVB-S(2) + DVB-C/T device,
> with two RF inputs, so that one could simultaneously use sat
> and one of cable/terrestrial, you'd get two demux devices, and
> three frontends, and you'd need to map the exclusivity of the
> cable/terrestrial frontend somehow.

That's indeed a case where you can not easily determine how many inputs
can be handled at the same time. This might require another enhancement
of the userland API. Until then, for such a small number of frontends,
an application could simply try out which combination of frontends can
be used at the same time (either open() or DMX_SET_SOURCE would fail if
you try to use the mentioned -C and -T at the same time).

Regards,
Andreas