[linux-dvb] Why I need to choose better Subject: headers [was: Re: Why (etc.)]

Paul Chubb paulc at singlespoon.org.au
Sun Sep 14 01:02:01 CEST 2008

Steven Toth wrote:
> Paul Chubb wrote:
>> Barry,
>> I drew the line at porting the xc3028 tuner module from mcentral.de
>> into v4l-dvb, so no didn't solve the firmware issues. If you know
>> what you are doing it should be trivial work - just linking in yet
>> another tuner module and then calling it like all the others. For me
>> because I don't know the code well it would take a week or two.
> No porting required.
> xc3028 tuner is already in the kernel, it should just be a case of
> configuring the attach/config structs correctly.
> - Steve
           I think we are talking about two different things. Yes the
xc3028 tuner is supported via tuner-xc2028 and works for many xc3028
based cards. This support uses the xc3028-v27.fw file that contains say
80 firmware modules. This firmware was extracted from a Haupage windows

I believe that the 1800H has some incompatibility with this firmware.
The mcentral.de tree has a different firmware loading and tuner support
module for xc3028 that loads individual firmware modules - you literally
put twenty or thirty files into /lib/firmware. This firmware is the
standard firmware from xceive before the card manufacturers get to it.
Comparing the dmesg listing from a working mcentral.de setup and the
non-working v4l tree the only thing that leaps out is the different
firmware. If I was continuing the next step would be to port that tuner
module into the v4l code and set it up in the normal way.

Cheers Paul

believed to be clean.