[linux-dvb] Elgato EyeTV Diversity patch

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Mon Sep 15 00:55:38 CEST 2008

Hi Michael,

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008, Michael Müller wrote:
> Simply adding a new entry beside the Hauppauge Nova-T stick using the
> new ids didn't work. Using trail and error I was able to find the
> right combination. I also was able to activate the remote
> control. Since the other devices that use stk7070pd_frontend_attach0
> and stk7070pd_frontend_attach1 as frontends doesn't activate the RC I
> needed to start a section for my stick. If it doesn't hurt the other
> devices to have a RC defined perhaps you should combine them.

Yes, please do that. And send the patch again with your Signed-off-by-line
and both file-changes created with hg diff of the v4l-dvb repository.

> Although it is stated that the diversity mode is currentl not
> supported it seems to be necessary that both antenna plugs are
> connected. I have an active antenna and I thought that without
> diversity it would be the best to connect the antenna directly to the
> adapter that I want to use. But in this combination 'scan' only
> creates 'WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!' messages. If I use the Y-cable
> to connect the antenna to both adapters scan is able to find the TV
> channels. Do you have an explanation for this behaviour?

As you might have noticed, pluging the hardware results in having two
/dev/dvb/adapters. Diversity is in fact disabled, but dual-mode (sometimes
referred as PVR) is activated by default.

Diversity actually is the combination of the signal resulting from two
different antennas (and tuners and demodulators). This is not yet
supported by LinuxTV-drivers.

> Are there plans to add support for the diversity mode?

Yes.

Thanks for your patch,
Patrick.