[linux-dvb] Still unclear how to use Hauppage HVR-950 and v4l-dvb

Jonathan Coles jcoles0727 at rogers.com
Sun Sep 21 16:22:55 CEST 2008

It would really help if there was a single set of instructions specific
to the HVR-950 with tests at each stage. I'm really confused as to the
status of my installation.

I compiled the firmware according to the instructions on
http://linuxtv.org/repo/. The result:

$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 2040:7200 Hauppauge

On the other hand, dmesg reports:

[   17.247610] usb 5-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 2
[   17.380387] usb 5-2: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/all
[   17.380434] usb 5-2: can't read configurations, error -71

Is my firmware is properly installed or not?

I'm trying to follow the instructions on your
*How_to_install_DVB_device_drivers* wiki, but some vital details are
missing. Which modules do I look for in lsmod? The
Hauppauge_Computer_Works Wiki doesn't provide this information for the
HVR-950. The instructions at
http://u32.net/MythTV/WinTV-HVR-950/index.html indicate that the
required modules are either em28xx or au0828 and au8522. I have
modprobe'd these, but still have nothing in /dev/dvb.

Any ideas as to what I am missing or how I can troubleshoot this?