[linux-dvb] Still unclear how to use Hauppage HVR-950 and v4l-dvb

BOUWSMA Barry freebeer.bouwsma at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 17:52:11 CEST 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Jonathan Coles wrote:

> [   17.247610] usb 5-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> address 2
> [   17.380387] usb 5-2: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/all
> [   17.380434] usb 5-2: can't read configurations, error -71

This is a problem (I see it from time to time) when the USB
stack or hardware wets itself.  Some of my solutions have been
*  disconnect and reconnect the device...
*  use a different USB port
*  if an external USB hub is involved, disconnect and reconnect
   that (sometimes certain ports fly south for no obvious reason)
*  if needed, disconnect and reconnect power to any USB hubs or
   other devices (like if your device gets powered elsewhere)
*  if nothing else works, reboot your machine,
*  if that fails, completely power-cycle your machine, so that
   all hardware has a chance to reset and start from cold state.

In exceptional cases, your hardware could have somehow been
damaged, if a particular USB port always gives this type of error.

hope that's useful
barry bouwsma