[linux-dvb] /dev/dvb/adapter0/net0 <-- what is this for and how to use it?

BOUWSMA Barry freebeer.bouwsma at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 09:47:01 CET 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Leszek Koltunski wrote:

> One question: in /dev/dvb/adapter0 I can see
>
> leszek at satellite:~$ ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter0/
> total 0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 4 2009-12-02 18:22 ca0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 0 2009-12-02 18:22 demux0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 1 2009-12-02 18:22 dvr0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 3 2009-12-02 18:22 frontend0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 2 2009-12-02 18:22 net0
>
> What is this 'net0' device and how do I use it? Can I use it to directly
> multicast my (FTA) satellite stream to my lan by any chance?

No, it can be used for receiving IP datastreams broadcast by
satellite.

> I have found no documentation about this...

There is a guide I've found to setting this up (a few years ago)
but I can't give an off-the-top-of-my-head pointer to this.

Unless you want to receive a satellite-delivered multicast or
unicast stream -- I'm not sure if there are any out there of
interest to non-subscribers -- it something you wouldn't need
to use.

barry bouwsma