[linux-dvb] siano firmware and behaviour after resuming power

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Thu Dec 3 09:53:21 CET 2009

En/na BOUWSMA Barry ha escrit:
> Sorry for not composing this reply sooner...

Thank you for replying, no need to be sorry, I've been trying to send
the message for ~1 month, so I'm not really in a hurry ;-)

> I have the following in a source directory:
>
> ls -lart  /home/beer/src/siano/firmware/
> total 428
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 beer besoffen 84164 2008-12-31 16:22 isdbt_nova_12mhz_b0.inp
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 beer besoffen 71428 2008-12-31 16:22 tdmb_nova_12mhz_b0.inp
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 beer besoffen 93624 2008-12-31 16:22 dvb_nova_12mhz_b0.inp
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 beer besoffen 38428 2008-12-31 16:26 tdmb_stellar_usb_12mhz_downld.inp
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 beer besoffen 38720 2008-12-31 16:26 tdmb_stellar_usb_12mhz_eeprom_a2.brn
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 beer besoffen 40348 2008-12-31 16:28 dvbh_stellar_usb_12mhz_downld.inp
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 beer besoffen 39676 2008-12-31 16:28 dvbt_stellar_usb_12mhz_downld.inp
>
> This is from a URL provided by Siano in the archives of this list
> which can probably be found by searching for keywords like DAB
> or their host library.

Ah, ok, I got my sources from linuxtv and there's no firmware there.
In fact, one of the search results for "siano firmware" was a message
from Mauro asking Uri (who doesn't work for siano any more) for
permission to distribute the firmware, with no follow-ups.

> In looking at the sms-cards.c source file, these Hauppauge
> rebrandings seem to be a change of the USB IDs, but the
> same firmwares are listed as are used by the Siano-sourced
> devices.
>
> In other words, there shouldn't be a problem, and they may well
> be identical.  However, to set your mind at ease, I'd have to
> dig out my other copy of the firmwares to list file sizes and
> md5sums in order that you can see whether they match.

Don't worry, there's been no harm to the device (though it hasn't seen
too much use).

>> Oh, when I turn off the pc the stick is attached to (a vdr machine), it
>> still supplies 5v to the usb ports, and when I turn it on again the
>> stick fails. I have to unplug and replug it to make it work.
>
> As I managed to kill off my workstation, more than once, I
> see the same problem with other USB devices that get power
> through other means.  I'd be inclined to believe this may be
> a problem in the USB stack, where it's not issuing a proper
> reset to restore the devices -- if this is possible with
> power supplied.

I found a something here

http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb-users&m=116827193506484&w=2

that purportedly resets an usb device.
What I tried was, before powering off:

1) unload the drivers
2) use the above to reset the stick
3) power off

and, before loading the drivers, issue a reset again.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, the end result is that I
cannot leave the device plugged-in if I want to use it.
Not to mention the annoying blue led constantly on :-D

> Those are just my observations -- as to whether this is a
> more general USB stack problem, or whether each driver for
> all these devices needs to be rewritten to handle this case
> of a device in a warm state, I don't know as I'm unfamiliar
> with the internal workings of USB or the devices.  But this
> seems to be a common enough problem, particularly annoying
> with my USB WLAN sticks, that it should be tackled -- either
> a complete power cycle or re-plug cycle is needed after a
> normal reboot, which is painful.  Particularly if done
> remotely.

Oh, it's a pain even if done locally, though you could say that doing it
from the couch is actually doing it remotely ;-)

Thank you for your time.

Bye
--
Luca