No subject

Fri Mar 27 16:17:27 CET 2009

exceptionally good signal and almost ideal conditions. Unfortunately,
SkyStar is unable to provide acceptable picture. VDR reports "TS
continuity errors" every few seconds and MPlayer is spouting warnings
like these all the time:

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]ac-tex damaged at 12 22 43  3%  1%  5.2% 0 0

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]Warning MVs not available

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]concealing 495 DC, 495 AC, 495 MV errors

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]concealing 0 DC, 0 AC, 0 MV errors 16.3% 0 0

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]Warning MVs not available7  3%  0% 18.0% 0 0

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]concealing 0 DC, 0 AC, 0 MV errors

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]concealing 0 DC, 0 AC, 0 MV errors 18.6% 0 0

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]concealing 0 DC, 0 AC, 0 MV errors 18.9% 0 0

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]concealing 0 DC, 0 AC, 0 MV errors 20.6% 0 0

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]ac-tex damaged at 29 8/745  3%  0% 22.6% 0 0

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]concealing 0 DC, 0 AC, 0 MV errors

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]00 motion_type at 26 34/1097  3%  0% 32.9% 6 0

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]concealing 0 DC, 0 AC, 0 MV errors

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]skipped MB in I frame at 17 1 3%  0% 36.7% 22 0

[mpeg2video @ 0x8963220]ac-tex damaged at 0 24

The practical result of this is a picture corrupted like every 20sec and
terrible mpeg-esque sound "blips" (e.g. short loud bursts of white
noise). Another fine point with this card is MythTV. I've tried packaged
version, compiled 0.21-fixes and even my personal fork of MythTV SVN
version. Couldn't recommend. It kinda works, but "kinda" is not what I
expect from my sealed HTPC!

I've been working on a solution for almost 2 weeks now, to no avail -
and I know what I'm doing; I'm a programmer who's been using Linux
exclusively since '98. I've written tons of code, incl. open source and
a mainstream Linux kernel driver. I mean, how is a /regular/ BFU
supposed to cope with this disaster?

In short, Linux support for this card sucks. It _almost_ works, but not
really. SkyStar HD2 is not stable, not dependable, not any damn good. I
don't know and I don't care whether it's the driver or HW. I don't have
access to a Windows PC to test it. Luckily, I've managed to return the
cards and GOOD RIDDANCE too!

Regards,

--
Dave