[linux-dvb] udev creates '/dev/video0' and '/dev/v4l/' instead of '/dev/dvb/' when I plug in my DVB-T USB stick

Pascal Ströing pascal_stroeing at arcor.de
Sun May 31 11:34:08 CEST 2009

Dear TV-under-Linux-watchers,

I want to present my problem without detours:

I own a pinnacle USB DVB-T stick '70e'. It runs very well under Ubuntu
8.04. I used this driver-list:
'|http://mcentral.de/hg/~mrec/v4l-dvb-kernel' and ||'modprobe em28xx'.
No need of firmware.

Now I try to install the driver on a fresh Debian 5.0 system. The driver
file I have made good exerience with does not work (errors while doing
'make'). So I tried out 'http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb'
<http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb>. No problems during installation. Typing
|'modprobe em28xx'|, no error message. When I now plug in the device,
there is no '/dev/dvb/' directory like usual but I can find new files in
'/dev/v4l/' and a '/dev/video0' file. This seems to me v4l handles the
stick like a webcam or something but not an USB DVB-T stick!? That is
why the usual dvb-apps testing tools or kaffein do not work.
'|lsmod|' and '|dmesg|' shows me a lot of |'modprobe em28xx'-percepiency|!?

Can anyone tell me how I can use my TV stick?

Best regards,
Pascal