[mpeg2] Re: Porting kfir for kernel 2.6

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sun Feb 13 15:02:37 CET 2005

Anssi Hannula wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
>> Anssi Hannula wrote:

>>> Now that's progress :)

>>> Try this one.
>>

>> This one actually appears to work - no more freeze when closing
>> the device :-)
>>
>> I've done the 'cat /dev/video > x.x' twice, and everything worked
>> as expected (log attached).
>>
>> Now my next step will be to test it together with my 'sky' plugin
>> and an actual VDR instance. I hope to be able to do so tomorrow.

I did that test now.
First of all, I get video and audio just fine!
Even the annoying green line that was always present at the bottom of the
screen is gone now :-) Don't know whether this has anything to do with your
modifications or the different videodev on kernel 2.6 - I tend to think
the latter is true.

There is still a small problem with buffers running full, but I guess
this is a thread problem that has nothing to do with the kfir device, since
that device does deliver lots of data, while the rest of VDR is apparently
not starting to process it in time. But once it has started, it runs fine.

The last problem I'm still having may be harder to solve, and I had it
all the time I have been using the kfir card (and it still persists on
kernel 2.6). It has to do with block artefacts after the first recording.
I'll start a new thread for this, so that we can finally finish this one.

>> Thanks for all your support!
>

> That's great :)
>
> My next step is to do some final cleanings and documentation updates,
> and release a patch.
>
> But what after that?
> Is there someone who has write access to the CVS and is willing to
> create a 2.6 branch for kfir? Or should I just release the patch on my
> homepage? etc.etc.

I believe I do have write access to the mpeg2 CVS.
You could just send me the changed files (preferrably the complete files, not
a patch - to rule out any mistakes I might make ;-) and I can check them in
for you.

Thanks again for a job well done!

Greetings
Klaus