[mpeg2] Artefacts in TS with kfir

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Fri Feb 18 15:57:57 CET 2005

Now that the kfir driver has been ported to kernel 2.6 (thanks
to Anssi Hannula) I'd like to get back to a problem that has been
bugging me ever since I'm using the kfir card.

When I load the kfir driver with

   insmod kfir.ko vidinput=0 vidrate=3000000 debug=0 streamtype=4

so that I get a Transport Stream, and then open the /dev/video device
for reading, I get a perfectly ok TS. However, if I close /dev/video
and open it again, the video resulting from the TS shows block
artefacts at the bottom of the screen. Every time I repeat this
close/open procedure, the area that is distorted grows further
up, until after some 5 or so cycles the entire screen is full
of artefacts (and there are also sound distortions).

Only rmmod/insmod of kfir.ko fixes this, which means that I have
to unload/load the driver before every recording.

Does anybody (Anssi?) have any idea what might be the cause for this?

Klaus