[mpeg2] Hardware Mpeg2 Encoding

sebastien Pastor spastor at center.com
Thu Jul 28 11:19:01 CEST 2005

Hello !

This is my first post to the list: so hi all !
Hoping you won t laught too loud when reading this post as i am rather
new to video stuff in general ... :)
I ve been asked to produce some Mpeg2-TS output (this output will be
carried out by our satellite provider). The video sources i have are DV
files. So i thought i could use ffmpeg to transcode to MPEG2 PS then VLC
to convert into TS but ... our satellite provider requirements are
strict  : they want : 2500Kb/s rate in CBR.. Using ffmpeg the result is
not sooo good (many artifacts visible) and even after fiddling around
with the thousands of mpeg2 options i can t get a good result .... So i
thought i ve reached the limit of software encoding ... ?
So here are my questions to you mpeg2 experts : do you think if i move
to an mpeg2 compression card i should be able to get better results even
@ low rates with strict CBR ? Would you recommend a card for this
purpose ? Have heard about the hauppauge 350 card, do you reckon i
should go for this (even it looks like it is a TV Tuner as well ...) ?
If yes how could i proceed to make the card compress my DV files (using
VLC ?)

Sorry if those are silly questions but any answers will help me to
understand where i am going.

Thanks

sebastien