[vdr] vdr-1.3.27 and UTF-8

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Wed Jul 20 09:44:50 CEST 2005

Harald Milz wrote:
> Wolfgang Rohdewald <wolfgang at rohdewald.de> wrote:
>
>>On Mittwoch 20 Juli 2005 00:00, Harald Milz wrote:
>>
>>>So at the end of the day, there's no way around a proper charset
>>>conversion... is there anything I can do to help?
>

>>Alexander Riedel announced UTF-8 Patch 0.0.3 on May 12 in this
>>list.
>

> Mmmm, yes, this patch is against 1.3.24, and applying it to 1.3.27 says,
>
> seneca:/usr/local/src/vdr/VDR # patch -p0 --dry-run < ../vdr-utf8-0.0.3.patch-0001.bin
> patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
> patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.
>
> It seems nobody cares about this functionality when it was against 1.3.24
> and we're now working on 1.3.28. Will 1.3.28 be UTF-8 capable? Klaus,
> please. I understand you get lots of patches solving only minor and local
> problems but this is about international use of vdr and IMHO important
> enough.

Well, UTF-8 is something I, personally, absolutely don't need - and don't want!
So any implementation of UTF-8 in VDR will, first and foremost, have to be
_completely_ enclosed in #ifdefs, so that a "clean" version of VDR can be
compiled ;-)

That said, there will be no UTF-8 support in the official version 1.4 of VDR.
Maybe later, but it has no big priority for me...

Klaus