[vdr] LCD panel with Ethernet port?

Robbo ml at the-view.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Jul 30 14:52:18 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 13:45 +0100, Simon Baxter wrote:
> Does anyone know of a (cheap?) LCD panel with a built in mpeg (etc) decoder,
> that can sit on a LAN and receive unicast or multicast video streams?

I'm not aware of any.

> The idea would be to stream video from a single location to multiple video
> endpoints.  Rather than use an expensive full blown PC, I'm looking for an
> addressible LAN attached video display.

For a DIY solution; what about a mini-itx (or nano?) motherboard with
case and monitor, that boots up over the network?

> I've looked at polycom and touch-panels, but they have too many features
> (and the price to match).
>
> As VDR can demux all channels from the same transponder, I'd like to stream
> each (encoded) channel to a different display unit.  But don't want a
> dedicated PC.

DVBstream may be better than VDR as it supports multicast and is
designed just to stream!

Is doing it over IP important?  If it's just over CAT5
http://www.svideo.com/videobalun1.html  may be cheaper.