[vdr] suggestion: version stamping of patches

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Thu Jun 2 21:24:58 CEST 2005

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> The "redundant" "/* Filename audio.h: */" is
> to give "patch" some fix points for "fuzzy" logic,
> as this file might have many changes.

A diff -u needs at least three common lines before and after each change
to pass through with 'fuzz'. And because this is a generated file, no
patch should change it. In fact, it will be a common mistake to include
this file in patches.

> If a patch is applied it could add it's own "Id$: patch" to
> the modified source file.
> Or it changes the CVS $Id.

Again, if two patches try to modify the same source file, they MUST
collide, because both want to change the $Id line. Then we'll be in
patching hell, because patches will require proper ordering and depend
on each other. (... patch X for plain vanilla VDR, patch X.1 for users
of patch Y, patch X.2 for users of patch Z, patch X.3 for users of patch
Y AND Z, ...)

The only way that wont introduce unnecessary conflicts is to add NEW
files, like installed-patches/MyPatchName.info, and then collect all
these info files somehow.

However, first, this requires such a method to be implemented in VDR, so
you need Klaus to do it, and second, all patches must be adapted to
support this. You really think this will work?

Cheers,

Udo