[vdr] Re: Getting rid of redundant resume.vdr files (was: vdr 1.3 SUSE RPMs)

Carsten Koch Carsten.Koch at icem.com
Sun Jun 19 14:01:04 CEST 2005

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> My patch is just a performance optimization. On a system with very
>> many recordings, it can become quite significant, though.
>> It is even smaller than the SourceCaps patch, though
>> and thus should not impose any risk of breaking something in vdr.
>

> This is probably not worth the effort, because in a future VDR version
> I will most likely store the selected audio track in that file, too, and
> then deleting it wouldn't make sense any more.

Please consider the performance hit that VDR takes when it has to
open an extra 500+ files (I currently have 519 recordings)
just to bring up the recordings menu.
It really does take a long time here already!

Your philosophy has always been to store all information
displayed in the recordings menu in the directory entry.
I believe you have done that for a good reason: do make
the creation of the recordings menu's contents perform well.
Why break that philosophy now?

Automatically removing "resume.vdr" files that point to the
first few seconds of a recording would again allow you
to stick to that philosophy 100%, since you would not
have to read the file at all to display the recordings menu.

Carsten.