[vdr] HDTV -> mpeg4

Joerg Knitter joerg.knitter at gmx.de
Wed Mar 30 20:17:58 CEST 2005

Grégoire Favre wrote:

> http://doom9.net/
>
> I haven't read anything right now : it is possible to encode with mpeg-4
> AVC/H.264 High on a linux amd64 (without emuling 32 bits) right now ?
>
> Thank you very much for the tips !!!

Hi,

just to mention: I have tested Nero Digital AVC and Cyberlink
AVC/Moonlight AVC encoder, and there is a huge difference. While
Cyberlink AVC just reaches DivX 6 quality, Nero Digital AVC/Ateme AVC is
way beyond.
So before judging quality of AVC, try different codecs!

And furthermore: Nero Digital AVC could not be played back on linux/win
  due to some missing features in ffmpeg - the only player is/was Nero
ShowTime on Windows. Don´t know if the missing features already have
been implemented in the last weeks, but players like vlc still can´t
cope with encodings where all of the Nero Digital features have been
enabled.

With kind regards

Joerg