[vdr] Working around Finnish EPG bugs?

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Thu Nov 3 20:26:56 CET 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 08:33:08PM +0200, Lauri Tischler wrote:
> Rene Hertell wrote:
> >Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> >
> >>I'm watching Finnish DVB-T streams with VDR.  Often, the EPG information
> >>for a program contains part of the description of the previous or
> >>following
> >>program.  EPG bugfix level is set to 2.  Should it be configured
> >>differently
> >>for Finnish transponders?  Has anyone tried to contact the transponder
> >>people?
> >

> >Hi Marko,
> >
> >I called Digita last spring regarding the EPG-data, and I had an
> >interesting chat with the person charge of these things.
> >
> >I asked why Digita does not supervise that the data our broadcasters are
> >sending is correct. I mainly pointed out that the data is put into wrong
> >EPG-fields, and that because of that the program-description is chopped
> >off.
>
> .. and that is because in the NorDig version of DVB-standard the extended
> description field is defined as optional.
> That's why  :(

Hmm, sometimes you can alert journalists to investigate things
by writing in the readers' column of a major newspaper, such as
Helsingin Sanomat, which has run some articles on DVB recently.
I'd try that myself if I knew the standards better.  I'd like to
contribute to such an article, if someone can provide the required
technical details.  I've written a few articles that have been
published.

	Marko