[vdr] Working around Finnish EPG bugs?

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sat Nov 5 13:43:04 CET 2005

Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 03:32:50PM +0100, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
>>Anssi Hannula wrote:

>>>I set it to 0 and those problems were gone.
>>
>>This would mean that VDR's efforts to "fix" the EPG data would
>>actually "damage" it?!
>

> I tried setting the bugfix level from 2 to 0 and requesting an EPG update,
> but it didn't fix anything.  When I browsed the EPG, I saw the same program

You should remove the epg.data file before (re)starting VDR in
such a case, so that it freshly fetches all EPG records.

> entry twice.  When I looked at the details in the nearby entries, I saw
> the long description of one program for both that program and the following
> one.
>

>>Maybe you could investigate a little more into this to find
>>out what actually does the damage?
>>
>>Which transponder/channel is this data on?
>

> I don't know how the EPG works, but I think the master DVB-T transponder
> here is the one that carries the state-owned YLE channels.  There are two
> other transponders; I practically never use the third one.  I have encountered
> bugs in the EPG entries of all channels I've browsed.
>
> What exactly would you like to see to troubleshoot this problem?  Is the
> epg.data file an exact dump of the EPG data, or does it leave out something

The epg.data file contains what VDR stores, after any "bugfixes".

> already?  Is it possible to get a raw dump of the EPG data?

You could add some code for that in the eit.c file.

If you run VDR with EPG bugfix level 0 (and an empty epg.data)
then you should see the EPG data in the menus pretty much as it
comes in. If you see a difference between bugfix level 0 and any
higher level, then it's most likely VDR that modifies the data
in a way you don't like (see my reply to Rolf's posting in this
thread). In that case we need to refine VDR's EPG bugfix code.

Klaus