[vdr] Suggestions for VDR setup with output over GeForce 3 Ti500

Niko Mikkila nm at phnet.fi
Mon Nov 7 19:39:20 CET 2005

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:00:29 +0100
Anders Gunnarsson <d00guan at dtek.chalmers.se> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to set up a VDR-box with output over an ordinary graphics card
> for the first time. The box is to be a dedicated tv and mediaplayer.
>
> As I understood the choise is between xine and softdevice plugins, and
> then if X or frame buffer is to be used. It would be nice to make use of
> hardware acceleration if that is possible.
>
> I would be glad if someone with experience from such setups could be
> kind enough to give me some hints to what would be suitable setup for my
> needs, when it comes to plugins to use for output and media playing, and
> output method (X, FB, ...).
>
> Hardware to be used is:
> P4 1.8, 512MB
> Geforce 3 Ti 500
> SB Live 5.1 with S/P-dif

I'd say X(.org) is easiest with almost any card because the video mode and
display device management is good and the drivers are mature. You could
try opensource drivers with the GeForce, but the proprietary ones from
nVidia are probably faster.

The vdr-xine plugin allows one to use the advanced deinterlacing methods
(Greedy2Frame, TomsMoComp) available in Xine, so it may provide better
output quality. Nothing prevents you from trying out both vdr-xine and
vdr-softdevice and decide which works best for you. People seem to use
both quite happily.

--
Niko Mikkilä