[vdr] Remote plugin breakage with 2.6.15-rc1+ kernel

Wolfgang Fritz wolfgang.fritz at gmx.net
Sun Nov 13 14:23:27 CET 2005

C.Y.M wrote:

>>>As of 2.6.15-rc1 (actually the change was originally made in 2.6.14-git8), there
>>>is no more /dev/input/event0 node.  The nodes now start at event1 and up.  This
>>>breaks the autodetect feature in the remote plugin for VDR.  I was able to
>>>kludge a fix by hacking the default to the event I am currently using, but a
>>>real fix should be made instead.
>>>
>>>This is *hacked* fix for a remote that is using event3.  This only a kludge.
>>
>>OK, this seems like a much better fix for 2.6.15-rc1+ kernels and the remote
>>plugin.  Now autodetect works again for the events.
>>

> Now that I think about it more, this is only going to be a problem for people
> using udev (where devices are created in /dev each time on boot).

How is the autodetect feature intended to work? Is it able to follow a
"moving target"? I had the problem that the IR device changes from
event1 to event2 when I connect a keyboard to the VDR box (what I do
only in the rare cases where access via SSH cannot be used).

On my SuSE 9.3 based VDR this is solved by an udev rule that generates a
symbolic link /dev/input/ir to the /dev/input/eventx where the IRC is
actually located.

Wolfgang