[vdr] i18n done with gettext

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Wed Nov 16 19:29:53 CET 2005

rollercoaster at reel-multimedia.com wrote:
> - i would like to have only _one_ language source file for everything to let
> the translators deal with. how could we archive that not every plugin has to
> be translated on it's own? (we would have some resellers and even
> users/customers that could deal with the translations, but only if its easy
> to handle for them. i already realized that it's not practicable to send them
> > 25 files)

I don't think that this is possible. Whats the point of separate plugins
if all i18n strings must be in core VDR?

Distributions wont like that either: They like to have everything for a
plugin in one package, and no dependencies to the core VDR package.
Imagine that each plugin update would require a core VDR update to add
the missing i18n strings...

Maybe there's a way to merge all .po files into one for translators, and
split the results back to separate files for re-integration.

Cheers,

Udo