[vdr] i18n done with gettext

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 19:31:43 CET 2005

I demand that Udo Richter may or may not have written...

[snip]
> How does this translate into gettext? Does each plugin use its own
> textdomain(), and if, how does the domain switching happen?

It should; see dgettext(3).

> Will plugins based on the old i18n.c concept continue to work, or do they
> have to migrate to gettext?

I'd give them some time (and output warnings).

> Will a converted plugin work under a non-gettext VDR version too?

I see no reason why it shouldn't.

> For the existing plugins, we imho need a smooth upgrade path, preferably
> some scripting-fu that turns i18n.c into .po files. [...]

I don't think so. Translatable strings should be marked up for extraction in
the standard way: let the existing gettext tools do the work.

| Debian,     | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| RISC OS     | @                             | Toon Army
|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.packages.html>

If you're feeling good, don't worry; you'll get over it.