[vdr] CAM problems

Timo J. Rinne tri at iki.fi
Tue Nov 22 23:58:25 CET 2005

Timo wrote:
 > Yes, I can see distortions, as a mather of fact there is jump
 > in recording and screen after that is mixture of previuos "old"
 > stream and new one with distortions between them.

I've also seen this artifact even without multicam stuff a couple of
times with a latest few vdr versions, mainly 1.3.34-1.3.36.  I think
that order of events leading to this has been such that at some point
CAM (I have Conax 4.00) has just somehow disappeared and after making a
CAM reset it has reappeared after a while.  But instead of working
correctly, it shows the same kind of symptoms that my namesake above
described.

Actually since 1.3.33 or so I've had much more problems with CAM than
before.  After reboot it takes often 15-45 minutes for CAM to be found
by vdr.  Then after a couple of days it can just disappear.  Sometimes
when the timer starts to record from encrypted channel, vdr crashes and
after it has restarted, CAM isn't on the setup page.  Annoying.
Anyways, _everything_ else seems to work much better than before.

In my setup I've one Hauppauge full with CI and two budget cards.  All
DVB-C.  My stuff runs in 2.4GHz P4 with SUSE 10.0 (linux-2.6.13 kernel).

Regards,
//Rinne