[vdr] Can't start VDR via Bash Script with Softdevice Plugin?

Chad Flynt hoochster at sofnet.com
Tue Nov 29 19:27:10 CET 2005

Hi, I am starting to play with the SoftDevice Plugin, and trying to
start VDR via a BASH script.  All appears to start but it never
completes, and I don't get any output, and have no ability to Telnet in
to VDR.  If I start via straight Command Line it works fine.  Is there
something I am missing?  Here is how I have a script setup.

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/bin
./vdr -P"softdevice -vo dfb: -ao alsa:pcm=default"

That is just an example but it is the jist of it.  Script is executable,
and I run it with root priveledges.  VDR does appear to start up and I
get scrolling text etc, but I get no video, nor can I telnet in on port
2001 to control it.  BUT, if I just run the ./vdr script above with
those options from command line it runs just fine.  And if I run VDR in
a bash script with any other plugin and take out the Softdevice plugin
it works fine.  Just trying to troubleshoot where I might have something
wrong.

Thanks for any help.