[vdr] A new generation of DVB devices

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Mon Oct 10 19:09:28 CEST 2005

En/na Klaus Schmidinger ha escrit:

> Please let me know what you think about this, and if I have forgotten
> anything or got something wrong.

quoting from the page

"Some people claim that today's CPUs are fast enough to decode HDTV data
in real time, and therefore there is no need for hardware MPEG decoders
any more. Well, this may be true, but it requires a 3GHz machine to get
a decent result, and that's something nobody really wants to have in
their living room. There are hardware MPEG decoder chips, so let's use
them!"

not that I'm really interested in hdtv now (maybe in a couple of decades
;-) but the 3GHz requirement still stands for hardware accelerated mpeg
decoding? This is present in epia motherboards and a low end nvidia card
capable of xvmc is considerably cheaper than a full featured, low
resolution, card.

Bye