[vdr] A new generation of DVB devices

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Mon Oct 10 19:25:53 CEST 2005

Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger a écrit :
>
>>Several years ago, when VDR was first developed, it was based upon a
>>then all new DVB card, which implemented a complete device with tuner,
>>MPEG decoder and optional CI adapter.
>>
>>Now, more than five years later, and with the advent of HDTV, it's time
>>for a new generation of DVB devices.
>>
>>Here's a list of the features such a device should have:
>>
>>   http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/hdtv-dream.htm
>>
>>Ok, this is a dream I have - I don't know if any manufacturer will
>>ever come up with such a device. But then again, in the mid-nineties
>>the DVB cards we have now were a dream as well...
>>
>>Please let me know what you think about this, and if I have forgotten
>>anything or got something wrong.
>

> I do not fully agree with the "Full Featured vs. Budget" concept.
>
> There are plenty of non-DVB chips, cards and motherboards that are able
> to decode MPEG2, and MPEG4 in the near future.
> I envision a budget-only DVB card world, where the MPEG[24] decoding is
> delegated to another card, maybe onboard (on-mobo). Each card can be
> optimized for cost by the manufacturer.
> MPEG2 can already be decoded by many chipsets, on motherboards with slow
> and silent processors. MPEG4 will soon be (I think about VIA CLE266 ->
> CN400, but nVidia is on the way, and others too).
>
> The current problem is lack of completely open-source drivers : there is
> either a binary lib, or a binary firmware, or a complete binary driver.
> That's what really limit possibilities.
>
> When softdevice will be able to use the onboard hardware decoder of
> graphic cards, we will have achieved that part of the deal, for current
> DVB programs.

Well, a "full featured" card is certainly the most user friendly way
of doing it, because it could provide both video _and_ audio, and
there wouldn't be problems with keeping audio and video in sync, because
all this would be done on the FF DVB card. Also, I would expect that
switching between channels should be faster with a FF card than with
a budget/softdevice combo.

Nevertheless, if there were a card that can decode MPEG2/4/HDTV video
_and_ normal/AC3 audio, and a "budget" card that can receive DVB-S2 and
has CAM support, I'd go for that, too. But my dream continues to be
a real FF card ;-)

Klaus