[vdr] A new generation of DVB devices

Jon Burgess jburgess at uklinux.net
Fri Oct 14 19:53:50 CEST 2005

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> live in a Linux STB would be a full featured HDTV DVB card. Such a card
> could receive and decode the signal, without making the data externally
> available, except on the HDCP protected output. Even if it wouldn't
> be possible to record such a broadcast, we could at least watch it live

Such a card might even allow the encrypted stream to be dumped to the
disk and replayed back through the HDMI at a later date (provided the
DRM flagged that such time shifting was permissible).

It might even be possible to support time-limited replay if the card is
willing to trust the timestamps that it receives from the incoming
aerial signal at the time of replay.

	Jon