[vdr] sc

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Fri Oct 28 12:32:51 CEST 2005

Kartsa wrote:
> I don't think this is about
> braking copy protection since in order to decrypt I would need keys which I
> get by getting a leagal subscription and thus getting a smartcard from a
> provider.

I think, the parallels to DVD and CSS shed some more light here:

If you bought a DVD, you have the right to watch it in any licensed DVD
player as often as you like. However, using an open source DVD player
based on DeCSS to watch your DVD is illegal, because DeCSS is a
non-licensed decoder for CSS, and could be used for illegal copies.

Same here: SoftCAM is an unlicensed decrypter and does not prevent card
emulation and/or sharing. Because of that, it is illegal. Things would
be different if the CAM protocol would be an open standard protocol that
allows such usage.

Cheers,

Udo