[vdr] [subtitles-plugin] Is it possible to change the PIDS in a recording on the fly?

Petri Helin petri.j.helin at welho.com
Wed Sep 14 18:56:52 CEST 2005

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Petri Helin wrote:
>
>> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>>

>>> Once version 1.4 is released I will certainly implement
>>> subtitle support in the core VDR at some point, and then
>>> you will be able to select subtitle tracks just as you can
>>> with audio tracks now.
>>>
>>> Klaus
>>>
>> This is nice to hear.
>> Now that you compared subtitling and audio streams I should propably
>> tell you that they are experimenting with an "audio subtitling" in
>> Finland which means that there is a possibility to select a
>> subtitling which is read by a some kind of a synthetisizer. In
>> set-top boxes this is done so that you select dutch (not that common
>> language in Finland) from the subtitles menu. In VDR this brings up
>> dutch as an option in the audio selection menu.
>> This is from syslog:
>> changing pids of channel 1 from 512+128:650=fin:2321 to
>> 512+128:650=eng,652=dut:2321
>>
>> How do you think this has been done? I mean the difference between
>> set-top boxes and VDR. Not that important though, just curious about it.
>

> I'm afraid I don't understand your question.
> From the channel entry they're apparently advertising two audio
> tracks, an English one on PID 650 and a Dutch one on PID 652.
> What else is VDR supposed to do than to bring up these two
> audio tracks?
>
> Klaus

For what I know is that in set-top boxes the selection is supposed to be
made from the subtitles menu, not from the audio menu. I don't own a
set-top box, so I cannot confirm that it really is so. Now that I think
it again I must remenber incorrectly and it really is an audio stream.
The reason why I brought this up is that I thought that there would be a
way to use that mechanism which causes the syslog line above to notice
change in subtiling PIDs.

-Petri