[vdr] Changing VDR directory structure

jori.hamalainen at teliasonera.com jori.hamalainen at teliasonera.com
Fri Sep 16 15:32:17 CEST 2005

Hello,

I am building a little video share system for VDR, it copies selected recording
directories to a network drive.

As some of you can guess, the problem is " : " -character at VDR directory
structure. Samba filesystem doesn't accept it.

So my question is that why it was chosen in the first place, and can it be
changed to " ; " -character. Or any other than not allowed samba characters.

Disallowed chars are at least: < > / \ :

I don't see any benefit in VDR to be samba-incompatible.

Of course why I ask here is instead of just patching my sharing VDRs. Because
if new filename format is to be standardized for VDR usage, and probably VDR
patch that it will accept both formats (with ";" and ":"). And it would help
everyone sharing VDR-files with Windows machines.

Best regards, Jori

Ps. Or is there some other way round this limitation? I tried samba.conf global
option "valid chars=\:" but it didn't help.