[vdr] Softdevice or Xine?

Jan Ekholm chakie at smultron.net
Mon Sep 26 14:06:07 CEST 2005

> There is also some information in Linuxtv.org VDR Wiki:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php

Thanks, I didn't know about that one. Good stuff.

> Xine has superior deinterlacing filters such as TomsMoComp and
> Greedy2Frame,
> which is very important for video fluidity and quality. I have not
> followed
> Sofdevice development recently, but at least with Xine-plugin, the MPEG-2
> decoding and video display is separated from VDR to the Xine process. This
> should prevent VDR from crashing at decoding bugs (if there are any) and
> you can close Xine and X without worrying about VDR.

Well, as this is a dedicated VDR box without any keyboard, mouse or normal
VGA screen restarting Xine is the same as restarting the whole system. I
don't have a desktop where Xine will be running and where I can just
restart it, it's all on the same headless system.

Good deinterlace is of course important, especially with a projector that
natively wants a progressive signal.

> ATI's X drivers may give you some gray hairs, but I have heard they've
> gotten
> better in the last year or so. Your system is powerful enough to handle
> HDTV
> software decoding and deinterlacing if you get XVideo working.

Heh, you expect us to see HDTV in Finland for a few years? Of course some
HDTV content is available through satellite and could be fun to play
with (still need to bite the gory tools and install a dish for that)... :)

Thanks for the feedback, it was much appreciated.

--
Jan Ekholm
jan.ekholm at smultron.net