[vdr] Softdevice or Xine?

Simon ml_simon_vdr at bigblue.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 15:07:58 CEST 2005

Jan Ekholm wrote:

> Well, as this is a dedicated VDR box without any keyboard, mouse or normal
> VGA screen restarting Xine is the same as restarting the whole system. I
> don't have a desktop where Xine will be running and where I can just
> restart it, it's all on the same headless system.

you can use irexec and lircd to execute a script from your remote :-)
Thus keeping a keyboard free zone.

> Good deinterlace is of course important, especially with a projector that
> natively wants a progressive signal.

so right. The thing I really wish for in xine is a magic deblocking
filter to remove artifacts in high motion scenes on dvb. This situation
has improved a little over the last two years.

A good PJ can highlight even the most subtle artifacts in mpeg :-/
good video processing plugins are very important and xine provides
the flexibility and choice here.

Simon