[vdr] Softdevice or Xine?

Nicolas Huillard nhuillard at e-dition.fr
Mon Sep 26 17:01:42 CEST 2005

Jan Ekholm a écrit :
> Can one run DirectFB with a card that doesn't have a direct driver? AFAIK

You can still use vesafb with the generic software renderer, but you
will lack most hardware optimizations, specialy pixel format conversions.

> only Matrox cards and some Epias really work with DirectFB, others have
> no drivers. I fought quite a lot with DirectFB about a year and a half
> ago when it was investigated for another purpose, but in the end DFB

There is an ATI driver since this time, I think. And DirectFB improves
regularly.

> didn't really work too well (and that was with a more or less supported
> CLE266 chip). Somehow DFB also felt a bit heavy and CPU intensive compared
> to using normal X11.

DFB must be way lighter than X. In my case, it is nearly 80MB RAM less
(counting X + Xine - softdevice). CPU utilization depends on hardware
acceleration, WTR MPEG2. Nothing should impact CPU in DFB per se.

--
NH