[vdr] Profiling a plugin?

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Tue Apr 4 08:53:59 CEST 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:44:52AM +0200, Christian Wieninger wrote:
> I'd like to speed up some things in my plugin. So I just wondered if
> there is a way to profile a plugin. I tried to compile with "-pg" and
> checked the output with gprof, but it seems that gprof does not support
> libraries, because I only get information about vdr routines. Do you
> know any other tools, that allow profiling libraries/plugins?

OProfile <http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/> was very useful for identifying
some performance bottlenecks in the softdevice plugin.  No special
compilation is needed, and the performance penalty is negligible (depending
on the timer resolution you choose).

Be sure to enable the local APIC, because otherwise OProfile won't be able
to utilize the built-in performance counters of the processor.

	Marko