[vdr] Re: A more none tech german translation

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Thu Apr 20 10:38:24 CEST 2006

Andreas Mair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 20 April 2006 09:31, Daniel Rothmaler wrote:
>
>>Iwan Davies schrieb:
>>
>>>Diese "Beginne mit" Konstruktion kommt mir eigentlich etwas fremd vor,
>>>und würde jeder wirklich verstehen, was sich hinter "EPG" versteckt?
>>>Wie wäre es mit:
>>>
>>>"Suche nach Sendungsdaten..."
>>
>>Also Sendungsdaten finde ich merkwürdig... wie wäre es mit:
>>"Aktualisiere Fernsehprogramm"
>

> Au ja, mach das mal. Kommt gerade so viel Müll.
> Sorry, konnte ich mir nicht verkneifen :)
>
> Vorschlag: EPG = Electronic Program Guide
> zu Deutsch: Elektronischer Programmführer
> also "Aktualisiere Programmführer" (aber bitte nicht "Aktualisiere EPF" ;) )

Well, even though this discussion is about the German translation
of the texts in VDR, may I remind you folks that this is an English
speaking mailing list?

Regarding the "EPG": I'm pretty sure most people know what "EPG"
means, and would probably wonder what a "Programmführer" is.
Besides, I don't think we need another "Führer"...

Forcibly translating things sometimes leads to funny situations,
where the original English word is put in parenthesises after the
German word, because nobody really knows what it means ;-)

Anyway, once this discussion has come to a conclusion, please provide
a complete revised patch against VDR 1.3.47.

Klaus