[vdr] Re: A more none tech german translation

Andreas Mair Andreas.Mair at linogate.com
Thu Apr 20 11:08:06 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thursday 20 April 2006 10:38, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Andreas Mair wrote:
> > Hi,

> >>Also Sendungsdaten finde ich merkwürdig... wie wäre es mit:
> >>"Aktualisiere Fernsehprogramm"
> >
> > Au ja, mach das mal. Kommt gerade so viel Müll.
> > Sorry, konnte ich mir nicht verkneifen :)
> >
> > Vorschlag: EPG = Electronic Program Guide
> > zu Deutsch: Elektronischer Programmführer
> > also "Aktualisiere Programmführer" (aber bitte nicht "Aktualisiere EPF"
> > ;) )
>
> Well, even though this discussion is about the German translation
> of the texts in VDR, may I remind you folks that this is an English
> speaking mailing list?

You're right and I was wondering as well...

> Regarding the "EPG": I'm pretty sure most people know what "EPG"
> means, and would probably wonder what a "Programmführer" is.

I don't think it's not common.
Some examples, the are all using "Programmführer":
http://www.itwissen.info/?ano=01-014383&id=31
http://www.sceneo.tv/modules.php?name=Content_pro&pa=showpage&pid=109
http://www.primacom.de/produkte/primatv/epg.php
http://www.teltarif.de/arch/2006/kw14/s21209.html
http://www.golem.de/0507/39347.html
http://tvprogramm.kabeldeutschland.de/wunsch-fernsehen/programmfuehrer.php

> Besides, I don't think we need another "Führer"...

I still wonder why some people still associate "Führer" with the (infamous)
German history. Beside this: seems nobody here owns a
"Führerschein" (driving license), to name only one.

> Forcibly translating things sometimes leads to funny situations,
> where the original English word is put in parenthesises after the
> German word, because nobody really knows what it means ;-)

That's absolutely right!

Regards,
Andreas
--