Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Sat Apr 29 17:07:19 CEST 2006

Prakash Punnoor wrote:
> Runtime - you lose one register. In fact it would perhaps be nice to
> offer "optimizing" flags, as well (perhaps in the template, comented out or
> alike), which don't put in debug symbols (no -g) and also
> pass -fomit-frame-pointer (making one more register available, at least on
> x86).

I'm sure there is enough high level stuff you can optimize in vdr
before you need to worry about registers or compiler flags. IMO
thinking about whether -fPIC hurts the vdr executable is waste of
time. The trend goes to position independent exectuables anyways
btw.

> [...]
> So my patch shouldn't break anything *additional*. But your Makefile as such
> is not very portable, as the gcc man states PIC is not everywhere available.
> For more portability one needs to check whether -fPIC is supported on the
> platform/arch and then activate where needed. Therefore eg. things like

It compiles on all SUSE supported architectures. Whether it works, I
don't know. It doesn't matter anyways, I seriously doubt anyone is
going to plug a dvb card into a s390 to use vdr with it :-)

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development