[vdr] Linking plugins against shared libs

Laz laz at club-burniston.co.uk
Sat Apr 29 17:46:11 CEST 2006

This isn't exactly a vdr question but hopefully someone can give me an answer
here!

I'm in the process of trying to add hardware MPEG decoding to the softdevice
plugin. I have just built a shared library which does the decoding. I can
link a test application against this and call functions from the library with
no problems. However, when I link the softdevice plugin against my library,
it links with no errors but I get an "undefined symbol" error when I try to
run vdr and it trys to load the plugin!

This is the first time I've had the need to build a shared library in this way
so I'm a bit confused as to what's wrong here! My library is being linked
with "-Wl,-soname,libcle266decode.so.0.1 -o libcle266decode.so.0.1", and I've
added the relevant -I, -l, and -L to the plugin makefile so that it finds it.

"ldd libvdr-softdevice.so.1.3.47" shows that it is finding my library and
"strings libcle266decode.so.0.1" shows the symbol for the function which is
being called.

This must be something really basic that I'm missing here...

:-s

Cheers,

Laz