[vdr] Utf8-patch experiences, anyone?

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at hut.fi
Wed Dec 6 00:02:29 CET 2006


On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 09:36:58PM +0100, Alexander Riedel wrote:
> Hi Marko,
> 
> built-in bitmap Fonts in vdr are not uniform. Those must be first exchanged.
> 
> UTF8 user found Freetype fonts better than built-in. Size is scallable.

I see.  I gave the patch a try.  After all, the only added dependence on
my system seems to be libfreetype6{,-dev}.

> 
> Marko Mäkelä schrieb:
> >For one, I fear that Freetype could use too much processing power.
> >Secondly, I would expect the rendered glyphs to look bad in the
> >interlaced output of vdr -P'softdevice -vo dfb:mgatv'
> >(TV output of Matrox G450).
> 
> try out simply, i use DXR3 and meine frends FF cards.

Unfortunately, it caused a segmentation fault or something strange
in iconv_close() in CharSetConv(), called from ConvertPhrases().
When I started it in gdb or quickly attached gdb during the
initialization, there was no crash, but a hang or a signal (SIGTERM
if I remember correctly), varying from time to time.  When I started
vdr standalone as "vdr -l1", it crashed in SIGSEGV.  Valgrind didn't
reveal anything either; it just appeared hung.  The only error in the
logs related to your patch was this one:

"ERROR: FreeType: an error occurred during FT_Render_Glyph"

I see that the iconv functions are part of GNU libc.  I'm using version
2.3.6.  The compiler version is
"gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20061028 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-19)".

The crash occurred on both vdr 1.4.2 and 1.4.3.  On 1.4.2, there was one
trivial reject: the disabling of the UTF-8 check.  On 1.4.3, the patch
applied cleanly.  The only other patches are the patch of
vdr-subtitles-0.3.11 (http://www.virtanen.org/vdr/subtitles/) and this
patch of mine:

http://www.ktverkko.fi/~msmakela/software/vdr/vdr-1.4.0-suspend-0.4.3.patch.gz

I run vdr in LANG=fi_FI, charset iso-8859-1 ("locale" does not say it,
but it definitely is 8859-1 or 8859-15).

	Marko



More information about the vdr mailing list