[vdr] Parameter --manual-start/--timer-start

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 10 18:39:26 CET 2006

I demand that Udo Richter may or may not have written...

> I'm not yet sure how exactly the new shutdown code will look like, but I'm
> quite sure there will be a way to detect whether VDR is currently
> interactive (some user is watching) or not (unattended start, timer
> recording, no activity for x hours, power button pressed but not
> confirmed). Based on that, a plugin could probably take over the output
> device and suspend it or show a still. Or softdevice itself could react on
> this.

It also needs to cope with being shut down by a signal without any
possibility of user intervention. Two levels should be available: stop now,
and stop when inactive.

This helps init scripts when upgrading a packaged-for-$DISTRIBUTION version
of vdr since there's no guarantee that the upgrade won't be scheduled for
when nothing is being recorded.

| + Use more efficient products. Use less.          BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.

Blessed are the young for they shall inherit the National Debt.