[vdr] [RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Sat Dec 30 02:04:30 CET 2006

Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> Further feature request:
> At least on single card systems it would be nice to have VDR wakeup e.
> g. at 03:01 to do just an EPG scan and shutdown afterwards.

This opens up the discussion about whether VDR should handle external
tasks together with timers. I think that VDR should only handle its own
tasks.

A timed start could trivially be done by setting a daily timer. More
elegant, the shutdown script could check whether the wakeup time is past
3:01 and simply set a different wakeup time. With some reminder it could
also realize that the machine did wake up because of the 3:01 tweak, and
give special instructions - like starting EPG scan and shutting down (or
going inactive) after 10 minutes.

Cheers,

Udo