[vdr] New VDR hardware

Richard Scobie r.scobie at clear.net.nz
Sat Dec 30 20:37:36 CET 2006

Tony Houghton wrote:

> How good is Linux support for these? I was under the impression that
> XvMC doesn't work with ATI at all, and is broken in many versions of
> NVidia's Linux drivers. And that the latter don't support deinterlacing
> even though the hardware has been capable for quite a while now (since
> 6600 I heard).

A list of NVidia hardware capabilities is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

As for current XvMC support, only IDCT and Motion Compensation with
MPEG2 (and possibly MPEG1) are available in hardware - no hw deinterlacing.

Full support may happen eventually, judging by a comment here from
NVidia staff:

http://macslow.thepimp.net/   (see bottom of "UDS 2006 recap, Google,
nVIDIA etc." article.)

"Furthermore I hinted them towards us OpenSource folks wanting to see
nVIDIA’s PureVideo HD chip-features exposed in the Linux-drivers too.
They have plans for that, but not in the immediate future."

Regards,

Richard