[vdr] Streaming compliant with IPTV STB

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Mon Feb 13 03:57:25 CET 2006

Vladimir Kangin wrote:
> I would like to raise a discussion about VDR compliance with a wide
> range available STBs (Set-Top-Box) for IPTV carrier integration.
>
> The advantage of such compliance is obvious - low cost of STB. The cost
> of STB is in the range of 80-150 USD.

I'm not sure about what you're actually talking. Do you want VDR to act
as IPTV receiver, do you want VDR to act as a relay from classic digital
TV to IPTV boxes, do you want some IPTV box with VDR as software, or do
you want to use a IPTV box as VDR remote front end?

> The compliance is actually matter of:
>
> 1) multicast MPEG-TS streaming support;

As for receiving multicast, this is possible with streamplayer plugin.
Transmitting could be done with VLC and streamdev - or even with VLC alone.

> 2) vdradmin support for multiuser STB environment.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to be.

Cheers,

Udo