[vdr] VDR 1.3.38 and "-u root"

Guido Fiala gfiala at s.netic.de
Mon Jan 9 20:59:53 CET 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 20:51, Lauri Tischler wrote:
> > A better approach would be to just set the permissions of the files to
> > sane values as I think running vdr as non-root is a lot better.

Does this solve all requirements?

> Propably all *nix-purists will lynch me, but I really think that
> having elaborate permissions on a STB is rather far fetched.
> Set_Top_Box does NOT need _any_ of that.

At least 3 modes of operation would be interesting:

"read only mode" - anything works but no changes upon configuration are
allowed, no deletes and (likely) no user-commands - you can sit anyone in
front of your system and need no worry

"read/record/delete" - anything allowed but no changes on configuration (aka
channels, setup, plugins) - girlfriend mode ;-)

"full access" - aka administration mode, well...