[vdr] VDR 1.3.38 and "-u root"

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Mon Jan 9 23:14:59 CET 2006

Udo Richter wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
>> There have been reports from people who want to run
>> VDR as user 'root' and have trouble with access rights
>> when using "-u root".
>>
>> The attached patch simply skips all the SetCaps() and SetUser()
>> stuff when VDR is started as 'root' and the option "-u root"
>> has been given. This should then behave just like older versions.
>

> Wouldn't it be a lot more natural and intuitive if the default for -u
> would be not to switch users at all? It wouldn't change the (previous)
> default behavior and it doesn't use two hard-coded user names (vdr and
> root). Specifying -u root to disable switching is at least strange...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Udo

Well, due to all the hassle with the GRAB security advisory I thought
it might be a good idea to not let VDR run as root unless the user
explicitly requests it.

However, I do tend to share your opinion, so if nobody disagrees
I'll make it so that VDR always runs under the user id it was started with,
unless the '-u' option is given (and, of course, it was started as root,
otherwise it can't change its user id anyway).

Klaus